First task was to get – just something – up and running. Just to establish communication between the simulator software and the hardware.
The MCP became that choice. It has a good combination of being something used very often, and not being too big a project.
As time was also a factor (i just needed to see something working), I found a standard ABS box at a reasonable size, and used a drill to make the holes for the components. That didn’t make it nice, but made it done 🙂
I used the software SimVim to communicate between the hardware and the X-plane flight simulator. SimVim is cheap and well documented.
Some of the electronics i used for this prototype:
- Arduino Mega 2560
- Universal PCB board
- Rotary encoders
- Dupont jumper cables
- Push buttons
- Connector cables
- ABS box
- 74HC4051 for multiplexing
- L7805CV for regulating power
It worked, so now it was time to develop som hardware to support a larger cockpit. It was time for multi-purpose flight simulator hardware.